START PLANNING NOW!
We know you’d much rather be brushing up on your wine knowledge, tinkering with a new recipe, or hanging out with your awesome customers, but this is something that every merchant must know and understand for their own business. We recommend heading over to the official PCI website https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/ and check out the Document Library to find the PCI DSS v3.2 doc. It’s a beast and it will make your eyes cross when reading it but, as the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
We’ve pulled out some important dates from the informational website: https://www.pcicomplianceguide.org/whats-new-in-pci-dss-3-2/
What are the key dates for PCI DSS 3.2?
- April 2016: PCI DSS 3.2, as well as all supporting documents and SAQs, will be released.
- October 2016: PCI DSS 3.1 will retire six months after the release of PCI DSS 3.2, and all assessments or SAQs taken after that time will need to use version 3.2. This is significant for those with year-end annual assessment cycles.
- February June 2018: All new requirements within PCI DSS 3.2 will become effective. (Prior to that they will be considered “best practices.”)
No one would call the compliance process fun. In fact, some may think it downright sucks. Learn more about how the PCI DSS applies to your business and ways in which you can simplify the process. Check out the ControlScan blog post, “The Secret to Making Compliance Suck Less.”
From a Dinerware perspective, there are a few things we’ll want to ensure before June 2018 if you plan to process credit card transactions through Dinerware software:
- You are running Dinerware v3.7.3 (currently available) or above
- Dinerware v3.7.3 is dependent upon newer Windows OS (Win 7 and Win 10)
- Multi-factor authentication for remote access –
- No unattended remote access programs (LogMeIn, GoToMyPC, PC Anywhere, etc) installed on any computer within the Dinerware network
Evergreen POS will work with you to evaluate your current system, and recommend any required software or hardware updates. One part of the new PCI v3.2 requirement is 2-factor authentication for remote access to your Dinerware POS system. Remote support now requires a user at the restaurant location to allow our support team to access your Dinerware system. Evergreen support has already moved towards this new PCI DSS v3.2 requirement. Remember, using PCI compliant POS software is only 1 of the 12 requirements for your business to remain PCI compliant.
Evergreen POS strongly urges you to visit https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/pci_security/completing_self_assessment and complete the Self-Assessment Questionnaire.